Laila shares a quick and easy way to make fresh and flavorful homemade salsa.
Makes: 2½ cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 pound fresh tomatillos
2 or 3 fresh serrano or jalapeño chiles, stemmed and chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, quartered
¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1¼ teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- Peel off and discard the papery husks from the tomatillos. Rinse them well
- Coarsely chop the tomatillos and place them in a blender
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until chunky or smooth to your liking. Add a little water if needed to achieve the desired consistency
- Taste and add more salt if needed
- If you’re not using your salsa right away, pour it into a jar, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week
Chef Tip: Broil tomatillos, whole chiles and garlic for roasted tomatillo salsa.