Customize Your Cookies with This Simple Dough Recipe
Bring on the cookies! Use our "goes with anything" dough recipe and discover 6 ways to customize.
The winter season brings carolers, candy canes and our personal favorite, holiday cookies! Even if you love cookies as much as we do, eating the same cookie all season long can get a bit boring. But who has time to bake a variety of flavors and styles?
Luckily, there’s no need to compromise your cookies. Instead, try our “goes with anything” cookie dough recipe, which yields 12 to 15 cookies per batch:
1 egg + 1½ cups flour + ¾ teaspoon baking powder + 1½ sticks butter + ¾ cup sugar + ½ teaspoon sea salt + ½ tablespoon vanilla
The best part of our “one dough fits all” recipe? It gives you the freedom to personalize! You can easily modify the sweet vanilla base dough to make a whole new festive cookie. If you aren’t sure where to start, we’ve got six customizable ideas to help get the dough rolling.
Tip: Clean up your cookie-making mess with multipurpose spray from Home Made Simple. It’s effective, plant-based and free from dyes, parabens and phthalates.
6 Cookie Recipes Using Our Simple Cookie Dough
- Salty and sweet: Add sea salt and chocolate chips to the dough.
- Peanut butter paradise: Add peanut butter to taste for a sweet-and-savory classic.
- Lemon lover’s delight: After baking, add lemon glaze and powdered sugar to the top.
- Jammin’ out: Make a thumbprint in the cookie and add jam before baking.
- Sprinkle city: Dip the cookie in melted white chocolate mixed with food coloring, and add sprinkles for an adorable pop of color.
- Coffee break: Instead of adding chocolate chips, sprinkle chocolate-covered coffee beans! This cookie is tiramisu’s tasty cousin — perfect for the coffee lovers at your holiday party.
Tip: Lemon-scented hands are lovely, but sticky dough and powdered sugar? Not so much. Keep the lemon and kiss the baking mess goodbye with lemon-scented foaming hand soap from Home Made Simple.
Tip: Do you struggle to incorporate butter into flour? We love this cooking hack: Grate frozen butter, and then toss and coat the flour with the grated pieces. This will help evenly distribute the butter for consistent flavor.
So there you have it: six cookies, one dough. Start with our ideas, dream up a few of your own and amaze your guests with a variety of sweet-treat choices. Let’s get baking!