OUTDECO Fence Detail
This project livens up an ordinary fence with beautiful textured wall panels from OUTDECO USA.
4 OUTDECO textured wall panels, 4' × 8'
About 130' of 1" × 3" pressure-treated wood
2" nail brads
(60) 3" outdoor decking screws
4 pieces of scrap wood about the length of the wall panels
- First, add a plywood frame to the OUTDECO textured wall panels. Cut the 1" × 3" wood to fit around the edge of the panels, and then attach them to the back of the panels with a nail gun by inserting nail brads every 12". Be sure to wear safety glasses and keep your hands clear when inserting the nails
- Flip over the project. Using a drill and a driver, predrill and then screw the outdoor decking screws into the frame every 18" to finish securing the frame to the panel
- Paint the inside of the newly installed frame the same color as the fence
- Determine the center of the panels and mark where you will install them on the fence
- Screw a scrap piece of wood into the bottom of the fence just below where you plan to install the first panel. This piece of wood will be used as a cleat to rest the first panel on and ensure it is level
- Rest a panel on the cleat. With the drill and driver, predrill and then drill angled holes into both vertical sides of the frames so the screws go through the frame as well as the fence
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining panels
- Remove the cleats placed underneath each panel. Ppaint the outside of the frame and the screws the same color as the fence
Design Tip: Outdoor decking screws work best for outdoor projects because they are treated to prevent rot and decay over time.