Faux Wood 3-D Letter Art
Add a monogram to a mantle or shelf with this three-dimensional piece of personalized art.
(2) 30" × 30" foam core, 3 mm thick
4" multipurpose foam
Metallic cardstock or heavy paper
- Lay one piece of foam core on your workspace, trace out a desired letter with a pencil and then cut it out with a detail knife
- Place the letter onto the second piece of foam core. Trace it and cut it out. This ensures the two letters are the same size and shape
- Cut the multipurpose foam into pieces that will fit within the width of the letter. Place the foam pieces around one letter piece, gluing them in place with a hot glue gun
- Add hot glue to the top of the foam pieces and place the second letter on top, aligning it with the bottom letter. Let the glue set for 10 minutes
- Dip the paintbrush into the water-based glue and apply a light coat on the top letter. Rip music sheets into long strips and place them onto the letter. If the sheet extends over the edge of the letter, just fold it over the edge
- Apply another light coat of water-based glue on top of the music sheets, and layer with more strips until the surface is completely covered
- Once the second layer is complete, apply another light coat of glue on top to secure the sheets to the foam core. Let dry for 1 hour before repeating steps 5 through 7 on the other side of the letter
- Measure the space between both letters – it should be about 4". Then measure the width on the cardstock and use a straight edge to cut about 10 to 12 4" strips
- Add hot glue to the inside edges of the letter, sticking the cardstock to the glue as you go along. Repeat this step along the outer perimeter of the letter to hide the multipurpose foam
- Set aside and allow to dry for 1 hour
Designer Tip: When layering the strips, lay them in different directions.