Family Tree Kids’ Art
Kids will love creating this abstract artwork, made by popping balloons filled with paint on a canvas.
Canvas (any size)
Spray adhesivev Cardboard
(4) paint colors of your choice
- Draw a tree on a piece of cardboard, and cut it out to create a template
- Fill balloons with different-colored paints, and set aside. You don’t need the same amount of paint in each balloon or the same number of paint balloons
- Lay the canvas on a flat surface. Apply spray adhesive to the back of the tree template
- Stick the tree template on the canvas, making sure the bottom of the tree is aligned with the bottom of the canvas. Smooth it out with your hands
- Turn the canvas over and place thumbtacks into the back so the sharp end sticks out of the front of the canvas. This ensures the balloons pop when dropped. Do not place thumbtacks into the tree template
- Place pieces of cardboard onto the back of the canvas either by slipping them behind the wooden pieces or by using painter’s tape
- Spread a drop cloth on the ground, and place the canvas in the center. Climb a ladder and begin to drop the paint-filled balloons onto the canvas
- Allow the canvas to dry overnight
- Remove the tree template and hang the canvas
Note: Practice safety when on the ladder. Always have someone spot you when climbing and/or doing activities on a ladder.
Designer Tip: If the balloons don’t pop after you drop them, use a thumbtack to pop them over the canvas