Embroidered Family Handprints
Create a heartfelt, personal piece of wall art that reflects a family’s connections to and support for one another.
16" × 20" canvas
16" × 20" glass-free floater frame
Colored pencils, one color for each member of the family
Embroidery thread to match the colored pencil colors
- Lightly trace around each family member’s hand with a different colored pencil. Do not press too hard on the canvas
- Use the needle threader to thread the first needle with the color that corresponds with the largest hand
- Insert the threaded needle from the back to the front of the canvas, at the wrist of the largest hand. Use a running stitch or backstitch to trace the first hand shape with the corresponding color of thread
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 for the remaining family members’ hands
- When you are finished sewing, mount the canvas in the glass-free floater frame
Note: Don’t worry about tying knots in the embroidery thread at the back of the canvas. The thread should stay secure on its own.