50/50 Project: Glass Spray-Painted Candleholder and Vase
Add a gleaming glow to a mantle or shelf with these custom spray-painted candleholders and vases.
Reflective spray paint
Soft rag or paper towel
Cardboard or newspaper
Glass candleholders or vases
- Wash and completely dry all of the glass pieces
- Fill the spray bottle with a mixture of half vinegar and half water. Vinegar is used because the metal spray does not mix with it. Wherever you spray the mixture, the paint will not stick to that surface
- Flip the glass pieces upside down. Make sure the nozzle on the spray bottle is not on jet or full-spray mode. Stand about 6–12" from the glass and lightly spray the mixture
- Immediately follow with a coat of spray paint. Again, stand 6–12" from the glass and spray the paint
- Lightly blot the glass with a paper towel or soft rag to remove the excess paint and leave the glass with a nice finish
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the desired look is achieved
- Set aside to dry completely, and then place in desired setting
Designer Tip: It’s better to spray in spurts rather than one continuous spray. This way you can control the paint better.