December 12, 2012
to enjoy enhanced features like these.
1. Mirror Makeover: The entryway is usually one of the smallest spaces in a home. Whether you have a designated one or just a hallway,
adding a mirror or making over an existing mirror is one of the easiest decorating
updates you can do, plus it helps the space feel bigger. Try finding an antique mirror at your local thrift store and hang it with its existing years of
patina. Or, if you’d like a more contemporary look, spray paint an old mirror with a can of high gloss paint.
2. Stairwell Gallery: Transform unused wall space in your home’s stairwell by displaying a gallery wall of photos. Here’s a designer tip: Purchase
inexpensive frames from craft stores or used frames from thrift stores and have mats custom made to fit the frames and your pictures. This helps create a custom look for much less than what you’d
likely spend if you were to get all of your photos professionally framed.
Surround yourself with the freshness of the season with Febreze® NOTICEables™, a scented oil warmer you simply plug into any outlet. It helps eliminate odors from the air and comes in spring scents like Brilliant Spring Blossom, White Orchid & Bloom and Kiwi Berry Breeze and Alaskan Springtime.
3. Floating Shelves: They not only look good, but are very functional as well! Hang three or four floating shelves on the wall above the toilet. Then, add vases and baskets to store items you don’t
need every day. This is a great way to increase the storage in a small bathroom and helps creates a spa-like feeling, too.
4. Frame Collection: If you have an empty wall in your home, like above a cabinet or chest, try covering it with an eclectic collection of frames. Find frames that are all different—wood
and metal, gold and silver, large and small—and display together in the small space. When it comes to collections, more is more!
5. Live Plants: In regards to displaying plants in your home, live is always better! Create a dish garden by planting collections of indoor plants in small teacups or vintage dishes and display in
the small, cozy nooks of your home.
6. New Lighting: You can easily update a small space by swapping out the lighting. Here’s a designer tip: Play with scale by putting a large pendant light in a small
space like a powder room or small bedroom. Just make sure
it’s hung high enough so people don’t hit their heads!
Tune in to OWN every Saturday at 9am/8c for the Home Made Simple TV Series! Join host, Paige Davis, and her team of experts as they help everyday families and friends simplify their homes and lives.
7. Layers: Maximize space and add a designer look by layering furniture pieces. For example, add a couple lidded baskets or storage stools
underneath a long console. You can utilize the stools for storage while creating a cozy layered look.
8. Small Lamps: Try perching a small lamp (around 10”
high or less) on a desk, bookcase or your kitchen counter. Not only does it add extra
light, it adds drama, too!
Bryn Alexandra Dunn is an interior decorator and design blogger. Bryn started blogging in 2008 and used her blog as a personal creative outlet for her
love of interiors. She eventually started designing interiors for her readers. In 2010, Bryn left her day job to pursue her lifelong dream of
decorating full time, and Bryn Alexandra Interiors was born. Bryn lives and works in Charlotte, NC with her husband Matt and continues to blog at brynalexandra.blogspot.com.
Kitchen Decorating Ideas
Bathroom Decorating Ideas
This page is enhanced with social features that allow you to share content via Facebook,
Twitter, Pinterest and G+. Those sharing features are governed by the terms
and policies of those social platforms. Clicking "Continue" may share your personal
data with these social media platforms without further action by you.
Help keep your home safe for everyone. It's easy to get started; request your Tide Pods tub over-the-lid re-sealable sticker that is intended to help to prevent accidental access to the product.
Join our community for daily inspiration & advice for home.
Get solutions, deals, and cleaning tips directly from home experts.
Visit our channel for quick and easy how-to videos.
Sign up for our free emails & get the latest recipes, projects and special offers.
Subscribe to our feeds & receive automatic updates on your favorite content.
Get $13 in savings from some of your favorite brands.
Get deals and personalized newsletters from Pampers®.
Find coupons, product samples, expert advice and more.
Popular brands Seen on Home Made Simple
Home Made Simple® is a registered trademark of Procter & Gamble. Photos Used With Permission.
All copy and claims valid in Canada and the U.S.
©2013 Procter & Gamble